3.04.2013

Homemade Banana Bread

I love the smell of bread baking in the oven! The irresistible aroma fills the house, and I anticipate the delightful taste that is soon to come. I don't bake often but the 3 VERY ripe bananas sitting in my fruit bowl inspired me to whip up some banana bread.


The recipe I used came from a website called http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/. This site inspired me a while back to view food in a much different way. The overall concept of the website follows a family who challenged themselves to cut processed foods from their diet completely in order to be healthier. Many of my views on food and diet align with those of this site, and I am happy to utilize the tools they make available to create food that I know is healthy and more importantly unprocessed or minimally processed. I am a firm believer that by eating whole foods as they come from nature, that are not genetically altered, I can directly impact my health, weight and overall well-being. Here's the recipe:

Whole-Wheat Banana Bread Recipe
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/05/02/recipe-whole-wheat-banana-bread/

Ingredients
  • 2 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
  • ¾ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed
  • ¼ cup plain yogurt - I substituted 1/4 cup of applesauce since I had it on-hand
  • ¼ cup honey - I substituted 1/4 cup of agave nectar since I had it on-hand
  • 2 eggs
  • ⅓ cup oil - I used coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease pan.
  2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
  3. In a separate bowl mix mashed bananas with yogurt (or applesauce), honey (or agave nectar), eggs, oil, and vanilla.
  4. Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until blended. Do not over mix.
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  6. Bake large loaf for 40 – 50 minutes or until it comes clean with a toothpick.
The result is a loaf of homemade, whole-wheat banana bread that tastes amazing - not like cardboard as some whole-wheat recipes can - that can likely be made with items you already have on-hand.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment