3.18.2013

DIY Fragrance Plug-In

I am a fan of fragrance throughout my home - it smells clean and fresh and depending on the scent, it can evoke emotions such as energy, relaxation or calming. I traditionally buy my fragrance plug-ins from Bath and Body Works. The choice of fragrances is vast, and the price isn't too high, but, I thought ... what if there was a DIY version that smelled just as good and cost even less ... well, I found that project as I was pinning away on Pinterest one day, so I gave it a shot!

As I read that article that I pinned, I also discovered that the Wallflower Scented Plugins that I bought from Bath and Body Works have volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in them. VOCs are connected to a number of health problems such eye, nose, and throat irritation; headaches, loss of coordination, nausea; damage to liver, kidney, and central nervous system. Some organics can cause cancer in animals; some are suspected or known to cause cancer in humans. This is even more of a reason for me to make my own fragrance plug-ins using all-natural essential oils ... so, here is how I did it:

1. Remove the fragrance bulb from an empty Wallflower plug-in, remove the wick from the bulb by prying it out with your nail or a knife, then rinse out the bulb.


2. Select an essential oil to use for fragrance. I chose lemon for my kitchen area.


3. Fill the bulb with the oil — about 1/3 full depending on how strong you want your scent.


4. Fill the bulb the rest of the way with water. Do not fill to the top, you need room to put the wick back in.


5. Snap the wick back into the opening of the bulb.


 6. Screw the bulb back into the plug-in and plug into the wall.


The fragrance is spot on! You can choose a number of essential oils to fit your personality. I bought mine from Nature's Market - there were tons of choices. I went with the lemon for the kitchen area because it is good for masking kitchen smells, plus the smell can be uplifting and cheering. I think I will choose a calming scent for my bedroom, something like lavender.

Creating your own fragrance plug-in is simple, economical and better for your health - you can't beat that!

Just a reminder ... don't forget to subscribe to my blog if you like what you read - simply submit your email address in the field above to begin receiving my blog posts via email.

Giving credit where credit is due: I found this project idea at http://holycrickey.tumblr.com/post/7394307755/diy-wallflowers-scented-plugin

No comments:

Post a Comment