7.10.2013

How To Grow Lemon Plants

When I came across a picture sequence on how to grow lemon plants on Pinterest, I knew I had to give it a try! Quick growing plants from seeds of a fruit that I always have on hand and a little extra decor for my kitchen, I'm all about that. The post consisted only of a picture of the growing process, no link to detailed directions, so I decided to try to re-create it. 

Unfortunately, my track record of keeping plants alive inside my home is something like, 0/10 ... no plant comes out alive! I had basically retired my gardening skills in order to protect innocent plant life from the torture that is my attempt to garden, but then I saw this idea and decided to give my green thumb one more shot ... and I found success!

1. Begin by extracting lemon seeds from ordinary lemons.


2. Soak the lemon seeds in water for approx. 30 minutes. Remove any pulp.


3. Choose a container for your lemon plants. The post showed a flower part, but I chose plastic containers with suction cups on the back (found in the bathroom aisles at most department stores ... I got mine at Burlington Coat Factory).


4. Fill the containers with soil and insert the lemon seeds - cover the seeds with soil.


5. Place a single layer of rocks over the soil (optional).


6. Place your containers in a location that gets some sun. My kitchen window does not get full sun, but the seeds still grew. Water regularly.


8. After 2-3 weeks, you should have green sprouts - a lemon plant!


Compared to the pictures I saw in the Pinterest post, my plants are a bit more sparse, but I plan to add a few more lemon seeds to create fuller containers. The plants unfortunately do not smell like lemons, as described by the post, but they look cute and add some pizazz to my kitchen!


Just a reminder ... don't forget to subscribe to my blog if you like what you read - simply submit your email address in the field above to begin receiving my blog posts via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment