This recipe does involve a bit of prep time and it takes a while to cook, but the result is worth the extra effort! Plus, it's camping, so you are bound to have time on your hands.
Mexican Skillet Recipe
- Iron Skillet
- Chorizo - 1 lb. (seasoned sausage)
- Egg/Milk Mixture - 1 dozen mixed with 1 cup milk
- Jalapenos - to taste
- Chopped Onions - to taste
- Frozen Hash Browns - 15 oz.
- Shredded Cheese - 8 oz. package
- Sour Cream - to taste
- Salsa - to taste
1. First, cook the chorizo in an oiled iron skillet - remove from the skillet, cover with foil and set aside.
3. Cook the chopped onions and add in frozen hash browns. Cook through adding oil as needed - this could be a slower process, so be patient!
4. Add the chorizo and egg mixture to the hash brown mixture and mix in 1 bag of shredded cheese.
5. Serve with sour cream and salsa to taste.
This Mexican Skillet is better than any restaurants' ... in my opinion! This is breakfast at it's finest, and it's made right over the campfire. Add a bit of coffee to the meal, and you will be eating well!
Give it a try next time you are enjoying a weekend of camping - you will thank me!