BBQ Chicken Hawaiian Flatbread Recipe
- Dough - I purchase whole wheat dough from Trader Joe's - it is fresh and cheap - less than $2 - or you can make your own
- 1 cup chicken - cooked and chopped into small pieces
- 3/4 cup pineapple - cut into small pieces
- 2-3 wedges of Laughing Cow Cheese
- BBQ sauce to taste
- 1/4 cup bacon - fried and crumbled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F and grease a baking sheet or two depending of the number of flatbreads you are baking.
- Cook chicken in a skillet and chop into small pieces.
- Cut pineapple into small pieces.
- Roll dough thin - I elected to roll out 2 small individually-sized flatbreads and 1 larger flatbread (shown above).
- Place dough on greased baking sheet(s).
- Spread cheese on dough - just a thin layer will do it!
- Top with chicken, pineapple, BBQ sauce, bacon and additional dollops of cheese.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until crispy.
- Cut and serve.
The crispy crust along with the tangy BBQ sauce and the sweet pineapple is magical. Add in the bacon and the cheese and you have yourself an explosion of flavors in your mouth.
This recipe is a nice departure from the traditional pizza. I like pepperoni as much as the next person, but BBQ chicken and pineapple is a nice combo. Plus, by rolling the dough out thin to create a flatbread, your dough will go further, feeding more. The Laughing Cow Cheese - I used the garlic and herb flavor - is low in calories (only 35 calories a wedge) and is used more for a bit of flavor and moisture, not so much to create a cheesy effect which is perfect for a flatbread that should retain its rigidness.
There are several ingredients in this recipe and a bit of prep work so you will have to give yourself the time to prepare but the cook time is short making up for the time spent on the prep. You can use any meats or veggies that you have on hand to create a similar recipe - the key is the thin crispy crust. This flatbread makes for a nice Friday night meal paired with your favorite beer - yum-o!
Don't forget to subscribe to my blog if you like what you read - simply submit your email address in the field above to begin receiving my blog posts via email.